Saturday, September 22, 2012

1st Saturday of Seven

The older I get,
the more I develop a deep and abiding love for my country.


It's come from my parents and grandparents
who have spoken with love and reverence for this country
since before I could understand why they did
but I could sense it was important.


It's come from a love for American History nurtured by high school teachers
and especially my university professor who told history as a story.


It's come from reading books about our history
and books about other countries and the horrors of tyranny and dictatorship 
and other examples of lack of freedom.
Sometimes you don't know what you have til someone helps you imagine life without it.


It's come from having my own 9/11 story...."I remember where I was that day..."


It's come from my experience as a delegate where I became more involved in the political process than I ever had up til that point.


It's come from traveling my country...
In the last ten years I have spent time (more than a layover or drive through) in
and learned why there are songs that talk about 
"amber waves of grain" and "purple mountain majesties"
or "the lakes of Minnesota" and "the hills of Tennessee"
and "the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea"
all in the same verse.
Her landscape is varied and it is beautiful.
And in these beautiful places I have met beautiful people
whose hearts are kind and seen what the American dream
has allowed people to accomplish on small and grand scales.


It's come from the examples of friends and neighbors throughout my life
who have answered the call to serve their country and their families who stay behind
who have a different kind of reverence for this country
than I have yet experienced.

There is an election in 45 days that I believe is more critical
than many that have come before it.


Tonight and every Saturday after until the election,
I am going to post a reason why I have chosen to cast my vote
the way I have.


I do this very humbly.
I am not a political science major, or a history professor or a journalist.


But I'm an American wife and mother
who feels she can't sit silent on this issue.
This is the best way I know to make a difference.


If you don't agree with me, that's okay.
I have friends who are very dear to me 
who don't see politics they way I do.


 However, if you feel like it's the right thing to do,
please share these posts through email 
and on Facebook with friends and family
in your state and out of your state whose vote
is undecided or maybe even decided.



What can you do to make a difference in this election?

No comments: